Here is the main page covering our two-month long visit to these three countries on the so-called Horn of Africa, plus a slide show of pictures at the end.
For journal postings from Ethiopia, Eritrea & Djibouti, CLICK HERE.
This has been a contentious section of Africa for centuries, with Eritrea and Djibouti forming the only access to the sea for the landlocked Ethiopia. Our itinerary took us to the following places:
– Asmara, the capital
– Keren and the livestock/camel market
– Quohaito, Senafe, Dekemhare and Adi Keyh
– Debre Libanos monastery
– Lake Tana, island churches and the Blue Nile (Bahir Dar)
– Rock hewn churches of Lalibela and Asheton Mariam
– Danikil Depression, including salt pans and lake, Dallol thermal springs and Erte Ale volcano
– Ger’alta and Abuna Yemata church
– Tigray mountains and the community guest houses
– Great Temple of Yeha
– Axum, the seat of empire, & St. Mary’s church and monastery
– Simien Mountains
– Bale Mountains
(Soon) You can browse the map below for where we’ve been in Ethiopia, Eritrea & Djibouti (and posted an article). Click a pushpin to find the posted articles from the marked locations.